THE Balearic government is in the firing line over its plans to introduce a three language education system; English, Catalan and Spanish. Teachers have said that they have no problems with teaching English but they need the necessary resources and facilities. I am always rather amazed at the poor level of English in Majorca, despite the fact that British tourists have been coming to this island for the last four decades. Only now is there greater awareness of the big language gap which exists in Majorca. It is a shame that greater emphasis was not given to English on the school curriculum ten or even 20 years ago. It probably would have made a big difference especially to the tourist industry. Amazingly quite a large section of Majorca learnt French at school and English was rather pushed to the back burner. While the government should be congratulated for trying to extend the language skills of Majorcan pupils they must provide the necessary resources as well.
Speaking your language
Also in News
- New law for pet owners comes into force on Friday in Mallorca
- Investigation into the death of a British woman following cosmetic surgery in Mallorca
- Prostitution gang arrests in Alcudia, Inca and Muro
- Now Spain torpedoes all-inclusive cruise deals with extra booze and food taxes
- Mallorca fans see red over scantily clad dancers in VIP area!